Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Pyamas

Pterapogon kauderni is a popular fish in the marine aquariumhobby. Kauderni's are mouthbreeders, which makes the species 'easy' to breed. The photo shows the juveniles in the mouth of the father, shortly before they are released. Great photo which I admire because it takes much, much patience to make pictures like this. I have been sitting in front of my breeders tank, on my knees, for over an hour. Trying to film the spawning of a pair kauderni's, without any luck. That is, they were 'dancing' (mostly vibrating their bodies), but I couldn't film the actual moment when the male would take the eggs in his mouth.


Breeding and raising kauderni's is great fun. If you have any experience in breeding fish, kauderni's will not be any problem. I have raised several broods of these pyama fish. Although I often missed the moment the young fish were released by the father, a number of juveniles always end up in the filter system. Contrary to the anemone fish, or clownfish, there are no misbars or color forms of Pterapogon kauderni. As far as known, there also is only one color type in nature.
There is a lot of quarreling about the status of kaudernis. Threatened, endangered or...not? It seems they are far less endangered as mostly believed. A second population has been found. Introduced to the new area by fishermen. But very succesful. If you like to keep them in your marine aquarium, ask for captive bred specimens. They are easier to keep. Even easier to breed. Considering the succesful breeding records by many fish breeders, wild caught specimens are not necessary. Whether they are threatened or not.



Kaudernis are also known as Banggai Cardinals, or Pyama Cardinals. When I was doing the painting, pictured hereby, another idea came to my mind. I made a limited series of nine 'rockies'. Small stones,15x15cm, painted on both sides. Front side a Banggai Cardinal,back side a smaller copy of my seahorse series. 

No comments: